I’m pretty sure many of you asked yourselves about the steps needed in order to create a blog and, if possible, even a free blog. The fact is that it’s quite simple to make one. While I write this, I know there is a high number of people that already know this and visit it just because of curiosity or seeking for more information as I also like to consult more than one source before starting anything. Nevertheless I will do my best to cover it one more time for those of you who are still new to this side of the Internet and, also for those of you present here regardless the reason.
A content management system is a computer software that allows publishing, editing and modifying the content on a web site as well as allowing and making it easier for a job of maintaining it updated and any other task of maintenance.
All this is done from an administration site available on a page of the same web site but on a different side, hidden from public or restricted to them with the help of user-names. It also provides automatic steps for configuration of different features and modules but also the option to configure them manually if preferred.
WordPress, one of the best if not the best CMS for blogs is putting such a feature available, in terms that you can create your own FREE blog, hosted by them, on their platform. The only thing you need to do is to create an account for it, which is basically an action you need to do on most of the resources available on the Internet in order to access different systems.
I will present the steps needed in order to create such a free blog followed by a few advices that you might follow or not, depending on your needs and I also offer my support for any question or problem you encounter when you are trying to create your blog along with my advice to check their websites too for help, support and news if interested. Their official support and project website and also their hosting free blogs website is: http://wordpress.com/.
I have to mention that you can also start a blog if you have your own domain and hosting, but this will be covered in a later article or as an update to this one and it is made already available by WordPress on their website as instructions.
1. Go to http://wordpress.com.
2. No matter how the next page looks like, because sometimes it might be different than what you see here in the two print screen I added for you, you have to look for a link (option) that says something like “Sign Up Free”, “Get Started Here”, “Sign Up Now” or any other option that means you will create an account and click on it.
3. The next page you will be sent to, after you click the above link would be the one below and as you can see, we will have to fill in with some details about our future WordPress free blog. Maybe the most important of these details is the name of the blog, which you will have to come up with and I advise you to think good before picking it so you won’t have to change your mind and waste resources like this and also this can work for or against you when you will reach the Search Engine Optimization part. You will also have to decide if you will stay with the free default address which will contain the wordpress.com part or buy a paid one available from the options they provide with the pick list, the blue arrow pointing down. For example if you want as name for your blog “myfirstblog”, the full address would be http://myfirstblog.wordpress.com, assuming it is not taken by somebody else. I’m guessing you will stay with the default free blog WordPress option as most of the people, especially those who will use it as a personal blog for their stories or for different articles with most of the subjects or topics fitted to this type of blog and name.
4. Fill in the rest of the details, meaning a user-name which will be the administrator account for the website, when you login to the WordPress CMS. Make sure you pick a strong password and provide a valid email address for the confirmation process. After you click Create Blog, you will receive an activation email that you have to confirm in order to have your account activated. You can find below, how the registration page should look like before pressing the Create Blog button. For security reasons I masked some details, but you can deduct pretty easy what you should have in there.
5. The last step is to activate the account. You will receive an email, usually in maximum 30 minutes which you will have to open and click on the link inside to activate the account. The account can be activated in max 2 days before being canceled, otherwise you would have to repeat the steps. You can also fill in with the details for your profile if you want and then press “Save Profile”. You also have the option, in this last page, to change the account email address if by any chance you want it changed or the one already there is not correct. When all this is done you may close this last page if the “Save Profile” button doesn’t redirect you.
6. The activation email looks like below and you will have to follow the red marked link to activate your account, “Activate Blog” button.
7. After you click the above link you will be sent to below page, where you have to pick your start-up theme. Don’t worry, you can change it later too if you find a better one and, except for the six ones with thumbnails displayed, you have a button saying “Show More Themes” that you can use if you want to see more in order to find a better suited one. Just click it, and it will be set up. You have also an option, on your right bottom corner that does exactly what it says and that is “No thanks, I’ll just stick with the default theme for now”.
8. This is the admin CMS where you can control everything that is published on your free WordPress blog, web site title, users, and many more. The rest of the process is pretty simple. Now you only have to fill in the details and it is recommended that after you do some modifications, to check it for how a user would see it too as a blog in a web browser. You can learn how to change things on your new blog by watching the video tutorial available after installation, at the start-up page after you have followed all the above steps. I highlighted the tutorial with red in below print screen.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Guide to install a WordPress FREE Blog - WordPress CMS WebSite,