When you are trying to install a new theme that you found on the Internet by uploading it on your WordPress blog , an error may appear with the message: “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet”.
The themes you take from Internet are in a .zip compressed format and you can upload them directly on your wordpress blog through the control panel, by going to Appearance – Themes, click on the Install Themes, then choose the file and hit Install now. But there are times when the files of the theme needed for the installation like the index.html or style.css are not directly put into the folder. So what to do?
There are 2 very simple ways to deal with this issue:
Solution1 – Zip the actual folder of the theme.
1. Unzip the theme and then look for the folder in which you can find the files of the theme, usually the folder has the theme name and the other folders are just either instructions or plugins for the theme.
2. Zip the folder with the files of the theme.
3. Install the theme by uploading the above zipped folder in the WordPress control panel.
Solution 2 – Use the ftp client to copy the folder of the theme.
1. Unzip the theme and then look for the folder in which you can find the files of the theme.
2. Open your FTP client and connect to your blog so you can see its folders and files.
3. Search for the “themes” folder, it should be in “wp-content” folder.
4. Put the above unzipped folder theme in the “themes” folder you just found.
5. After step 4 is done, the theme will be automatically installed and you can find it in the WordPress control panel. Just go to Appearance – Themes – Manage Themes, find it in the list and activate it.
Remember to always check for the folders when you have errors similar to “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.”
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.,